Author Topic: Stropharia rugosoannulata outdoor grow- problems  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Oysterblade

Stropharia rugosoannulata outdoor grow- problems
« on: January 22, 2015, 10:48:53 AM »
On 20 November 2014 I had soaked a 50-50 mix of local sawdust and local hay ( unchopped ) anaerobically in a 240L drum for a week.
Exhumed and drained it well, then mixed with large clumps of sterile grown Stropharia rugosoannulata ( local isolate from a neighbouring property, confirmed by fruiting on grain ) and placed in a trench. Total volume about 1m3

Watered regularly, good drainage and dappled light.

Colonisation is only mildly evident, not much jump onto sawdust, and there are what looks like fungus gnats everywhere. The colonising mycelial clumps are still healthy and compact. No other contamination is evident

I have tried this tek twice previously using only anaerobically treated straw, with even less success ( no colonisation at all ) and quite high rates of inoculation

This has me stumped. I hear so much about these low-tek growing methods, but I'm starting to realise that while there are ten million youtube clips showing how to make a low tek Stropharia grow bed, there are very very few which show what a third year harvest looks like- and there might be a reason for that

Does anyone here have any experience with low-tek sawdust beds for Stropharia/ Wine cap cultivation up in SEQ?

Are the fungus gnats ( prolific here throughout the garden beds anyhow ) symptomatic of a particular nutrient issue, or do nutes get added to the mycelia/sawdust/ straw if it is deficient? Are Strophs hungry for something which needs to be added?

Anyone got any ideas? I am at at +9 weeks since inoculation, am using a local variety and the growth of spawn in bags at ambient temperature was really rapid. Something should have happened by now
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:54:06 AM by Oysterblade »

Offline shifabrains

• swanvalleygourmetfungi
Re: Stropharia rugosoannulata outdoor grow- problems
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 02:17:31 PM »
I have no experience with that species but am curious as to why the hay is added my understanding of a stroph bed is that it needs to be a mix of sawdust and wood chips which is then covered over with cardboard or newspaper so as to exclude the gnats.
im not a pheasant plucker im a pheasant pluckers son ill sit here plucking pheasants till the pheasant pluckings done

Offline Oysterblade

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »
I hadn't heard of cardboard being used like that for gnat exclusion! Thank you!

I don't think it would work here in a rural environment where there is already a heavy gnat presence, but it could be worth a try

The sawdust is actually fairly large shavings, but I mixed the straw in so that there would be lots of air left in the mix and the substrate wouldn't compact over time

Offline Shrooman

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 07:00:43 PM »
I do know that SRA likes to be disturbed - it will start to colonise, then slow down, even stop. If you break up the myc it explodes back into growth.
I took a spore sample, and inoculated sterile popcorn and found this to be the case, never fruited any though.

Offline Nuttinut

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 04:10:56 PM »
I have the same problem with you. I need a solution.