Author Topic: Unsure what this is in my grain spawn  (Read 268 times)

Offline Bullcurphey87

Unsure what this is in my grain spawn
« on: May 15, 2017, 10:04:21 AM »
What the he'll is this shit, good or bad I did everything by the book very hygienic and careful with my procedures but keep coming up with this what looks like mycelium at day 7 then seems to go grayish and developed black to brown dot all throughout. I'm starting to get really annoyed. Can anyone define what this is and if they have experienced it before with tan or pearl oyster spawn thank you.

Offline NSF

• Administrator
Re: Unsure what this is in my grain spawn
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 11:14:34 AM »
Well yes you quite clearly have contaminant.

The only thing I can suggest, repeat your workflow but put in some control. 

Make some agar, sterilise it, then do not open a couple of plates, label as control.  A couple more, do open them but do nothing to them, just open them for 10 seconds, then close up, label them...that way we can see if your sterile space is sterile or not.  Open a couple more and touch your sterilised tweezers/scalpel to them.  Not with any mushroom tissue on them.  Close them up, label them.

Then do some plates, with 2 different cultures.  That way we can figure out whether the parent plate is carrying contam. 

Do you do agar on plates? Jars?  Because it's a good idea to spray alcohol into a zip lock bag, splash around in the bag, pour out, then put a couple of plates in and seal it.  Just an extra barrier to contam.   

Then follow the same concept through to grain.  It's very valuable to find out where your mistakes are being made.  I've blamed grain for a long time, which I did have a problem with but it seems contam spores are getting into my plates.  So no matter how clean I work with grain, adding the tissue brings contams with it. 

Offline Jo

Re: Unsure what this is in my grain spawn
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 03:09:16 PM »
I think its called black mold. Did you use a liquid culture? It may come from your supply side. When I was searching for sources, it happened to me. I  had to narrow down my supply source to the ones that I had success with. Also, in my first attempt with corn, I found out latter that the corn was contaminated with mold.  In my quest for growing mushrooms, I eventually found out, I could bulk order 25# bags of rye berry from my local health food store. I could also order 50# bags of wheat bran from them. It took a while for me to find my sources. I eventually found BBQ wood pellets at Walmart garden supply.

Some times I blamed my sources, but after many trials with my small electric pressure cooker, I found out that the contamination was occurring on my side. On Aloha Medicinal website they say those common mushroom filters for the mason or ball jars are meant for only one autoclave. I have less contamination with the .20 micron air flow bag filters. The .50 is for the bulk substrate and the smaller .20 is for grain spawn.
I got less contamination when I started to autoclave my rye berries for 1 hour after a 12 hour water gypsum soak/boil for 10min. I spray Lysol around the room before I do any culture work. Oh, they sell a soft breathable rubber tape in the band aide section of my local drug store. I stick a piece on my bags before I inject my liquid culture and pull the needle out of the bag with the alcohol pad. Then put another piece of tape on top that hole.

I accordion fold my .20 micron air flow bags without sealing them. I wrap a strip of the long aluminum foil around the bag. The pressure cooker press the air out and creates a natural seal. After the bags cool, I tie a zip tie on top with out letting any air in. The rye berries appear wet, but they re-absorb the excess water after I shake the bag. The bulk substrate .50 air flow bags can be sealed before the autoclave, but I do them the same way. The .20 bags will pop and leak if you seal them before autoclave.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 06:09:23 AM by Jo »