Author Topic: White oysters started to fruit  (Read 643 times)

Offline Jo

White oysters started to fruit
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:33:53 AM »
I cut my white oysters out of the spawn bags and placed them in this mono tub. Substrate: 10 part kellogg garden soil, 10 part coconut coir,  2 part brown rice flour.http://kellogggarden.com/products/kellogg/soils/?s=all-natural-garden-soil

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:14:42 AM by Jo »

Offline Pistilwhipped

Re: White oysters started to fruit
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 11:10:09 PM »
I enjoyed going through your photos.  Looks like you're really got 'the bug'. 

The white oyster pins seem healthy, if a little bit leggy.   Maybe a little more FAE (fan near mono) would assist those fruit bodies to develop fully.   Does your block dry out with no bag left on it?   We always cut slits in the bags and wait till they find their way through the hole, but we do lots and lots of bags at a time so can't offer individual attention to each block. 

Nice to see activity here, the outdoor season should ramp up soon?

Offline Jo

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 08:43:21 PM »
   Pistilwhipped, I took all the mushrooms off 3 days later on one of the blocks, it filled up a good size bowl. I threw them in a frying pan with garlic and butter then put in a can of New England style clam chowder and a can of Campbell mushroom soup. I ate it with an oven baked garlic bread. I did not take any pictures.

That was the first time I fruited mushrooms in a mono tub, so I did not know what to expect. I thought they were going to fizzle out, but they got big enough to eat. I am experimenting with where to drill the holes. I read in the Mushroom Cultivator by Paul Stamets and J.S Chilton, more air is better than less while they are in the fruiting stage, so I doubled the amount of holes around the tub, and off set the cover. This should clear out the C02 a little better. The reason I put them in the mono tub was because I did not want the spores making a mess in my house. I think you are right about more fresh air, but as far as them drying out; I may have over watered or mist the hell out of them.

I found a supply of bbq hard wood pellets from Walmart Garden supply, so I can stop testing different types of bulk substrates. The colonization in my hard wood spawn bag is superior to my test coconut coir/rice cake, and hay cube mix. I plan on cutting slits in my spawn bags and I will probably end up hanging them out side under a tent when they are ready.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:22:32 AM by Jo »

Offline Jo

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 03:05:56 PM »
This is the other block on the right with more air, this line look like clam shells:

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:43:20 AM »
Very pretty!

If you intend to eat these immediately, this is the right level of growth.

If you intend to put them in a container and transport them, or store in the fridge for a little while, it's better to pick them a tad earlier, when the margins of the caps are still in-rolled.  When they get to this frilliness they are quite brittle. 

Great job overall though, nice thin stems with broad pileus. 

Offline Jo

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 07:14:54 PM »
I am glad these oyster mushrooms fruited, it took me up to another level. I beginning to understand the effects of Co2, oxygen, temperature, and humidity. I made a lot of small holes on the cover, now I can close the cover and not worry about them getting cooked. My blue oysters are fruiting in the chamber, but they look weak, not like the white strain. I have some pink and yellow that will fruit in about two weeks. The white, pink ,yellow, and phoenix oyster should do okay in Hawaii's climate. The phoenix oyster look like the strongest variety to grow here.

I have another block fruiting, it looks different then the other one. The pedals are roundish and not shape like a clam shell, I wonder if this is a different line? Maybe pearl oysters?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:56:24 PM by Jo »

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 08:57:49 AM »
Those are some nice looking fruit.

Does that block look a bit grey/green with mould?  It could just be in the photo and no what it really looks like.

There's one other 'ingredient' of mushroom growing conditions that you didn't mention and it's light.  Light is just as important as the others. 

Pinks are renowned for growing well in heat but for me they produce smaller fruit than other oysters.  They are also a little bit bitter I find.  Good to see the Phoenix dominating. 

Offline Jo

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 02:49:30 PM »
I am using wood pellets and I am waiting for these white oysters to pin out the sides. The previous batch was on coco coir and rice flour. I think they grow more meaty with wood pellets or straw. I will find out with this batch.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:51:02 PM by Jo »

Offline Jo

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 09:04:11 PM »
I concluded that coco coir is an inferior substrate. Oyster mushrooms grow bigger and thicker on wood pellets or straw. I will try to catch some spores with this aluminum foil. I never played with spores before, I'll try making a liquid culture and an agar petri dish. I bought 10 glass petri dishes, it was expensive around $8 each plus shipping. I was using the plastic disposable ones, but I hate when I run out of them. This way I will always have something on hand and probably save some money.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:14:20 PM by Jo »