Author Topic: Porcini growing wild in Adelaide hills.  (Read 4605 times)

Offline Morrie3

• Tall Trees and Mushrooms
Porcini growing wild in Adelaide hills.
« on: December 29, 2014, 02:09:52 AM »
I have been asked many times about Boletus edulis growing wild in Australia and have read many claims that have been unsubstantiated.  Today I chanced upon this story about them growing in the Adelaide hills.   I can only assume that they have come in on the roots of some oaks or something similar, rather like Amanita muscaria.

http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com/2011/03/australias-first-locally-grown-porcini-mushrooms-found-in-adelaide-hills/

Does anyone have any further information about these?  It does go to show that there is potential to cultivate these in Australia, especially if one could get access to the host trees.

Edit.

I should have known, the Catchesides have reported on it with characteristic thoroughness.  They first found it in 2007 and while its growing in association with introduced trees and shows no sign of transferring to Eucalypts, they don't discount the possibility of it spreading.    The range of occurrence is within an 8 km range near Mt Lofty and the extent suggests that they have been there for some time and may well have been recognised in the past by European migrants.

www.environment.sa.gov.au/files/.../kb-gen-jabg-25-catcheside.pdf

Further information.   This year (2014)  produced a bumper crop.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/lifestyle/sa-lifestyle/adelaide-hills-are-alive-with-marvellous-mushrooms-including-the-king-of-mushies-the-porcini/story-fnizi7vf-1226958036793?nk=1058ace458b5b0f71763c0212d4b82f0

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:58:33 PM by Morrie3 »

Offline NSF

• Administrator
Re: Porcini growing wild in Adelaide hills.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:57:47 AM »
Morrie, that Catcheside.pdf link appears to have been abbreviated and so doesn't work correctly. 

Oh wait, maybe this is it: http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/files/3d167627-47b9-43ab-a1d4-a0bd00a98125/kb-gen-jabg-25-catcheside.pdf

Yup, it is. 

Offline Happyslappyno1

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 08:51:30 PM »
I found porcinis today.
Spore printing a cap and the rest I will make porcini salt and porcini butter.

Offline Morrie3

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 09:05:53 PM »
Good for you.   If it is a suitable area, I suggest you plant some oak or pine seeds there with a view to getting some inoculated seedlings. 

Can you post a picture?

And can you keep me a spore print?

Offline Happyslappyno1

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 09:47:32 PM »

These mushrooms are few and far between in the Adelaide hills.
I only have one cap to make a print at hte moment. When I get them next i will make you a spore print.
How do you want the print made? I just do it on printer paper because its from the wild.
I'm using the spores on sprouted oak and cuttings.
The bits that were cut off from bugs and dirt i will bury under an Oak by digging a hole with a post hole digger and chucking them in at different levels as I fill the hole in.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 09:54:47 PM by Happyslappyno1 »

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 08:55:13 AM »
Great find mate!  Really well done!

Offline Morrie3

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 02:14:12 PM »
Nice.

Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you.

If you get a chance to take another spore print, I suggest waxed paper.

It would be ideal if you could plant some seeds in the ground that the mushrooms come from.  Chestnuts might be easy to source and should work I think.