Author Topic: Movida Aqui Terrine  (Read 2409 times)

Offline NSF

• Administrator
Movida Aqui Terrine
« on: February 02, 2011, 04:42:15 PM »
Alright folks, well, this is a recipe that a chef at the newest of the three Movida's in Melbourne shared with me.  It was late in the season and I didn't find any more lactarius deliciosus after he got around to sending me the recipe.  So I haven't made it myself yet, but I'm looking forward to trying. 

I can vouch for how ridicously tasty it is.

So if you're a gourmand then give this recipe a try. 

Oh and it's copied verbatim from the email he sent me, so all typos are his:

Regarding the terrine you had at Movida that was a pressed terrine. We used guinea fowel and pine mushrooms but you could use rabbit or any other game bird. Pine mushrooms are going out of season now but you could use any other mushroom you like.

The guinea fowel we take the breasts off and then joint the legs. The breasts we wrap in thinly sliced pancetta.

Seal the legs in a hot pan to brown all over. Finely dice some onions or shallots with some chopped thyme,bays leaves,diced pancetta and sweat down with no colour. When the onions are cooked add legs and your sliced mushrooms. Deglaze with some madiera or brandy and then cover with some chicken stock. Simmer until the meat is falling off the bone and most but not all of the stock has been absorbed,pick all of the bones out of the meat. Let the mixture cool until you can handle it but not cold( otherwise the terrine will not stick together). Season with lots of salt and pepper and some fresh chopped chives or parsley. Seal the breast and cook in a medium oven until just cooked it can still have a bit of blush to the meat should only take 5 or so minutes.

Line your bread tin or terrine mould with cling film and place half of the mixture in the bottom then place the breasts down the middle, then spoon the rest of the mixture over the top. Fold the cling film over top cover the top, then place a piece of cardboard slightly smaller than your mould on top and then a heavy weight on top (whatever you can find we you 2l milk bottles). Then wrap the whole thing tightly in cling film to press your terrine. Put that in your fridge for 24 hours to set. The Terrine will devolp in flavour over the next couple of days

Offline BigLaughingJim

• mushrooms round the world make go
    • Au Fungi dot com
Re: Movida Aqui Terrine
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 03:45:30 PM »
Noted....will try.
Anyone have access to pioppini- chestnut mushrooms....Agrocybe agerita?
If so, I have a tart that will blow your mind.
It is OK-to-pretty-good with Oyster mushrooms and Asparagus.....but ubelievable with Pioppinis....the crispy yet silky texture combination of the slightly fibrous stipes and the velvety  caps along with the earthy nutty flavor..mmmmm with caramelized onions and mimolette cheese. paired with pinot..
method....caremelize onions, seperatley saute mushrooms to your preference ( so long as you remove all the water in the process), then chuck in the caremelized Onions (and lighlty blanched asparagus if using)....put the lot in a prepped tart dough in a tin, grate mimolette over the top...bake to perfection enjoy with the best pinot you can get
jim@aufungi.com
go within, or you go without

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 11:54:48 PM »
I'm freaking certain that recipe needs a thread of its own! I'd love to grow those agrocybes but figure they're more your intermediate shroom, rather than beginner (oyster, shimeji). Any tips on substrate etc for growing chestnuts?  There's no egg to bind the tart? Just cheese? Sorry if i didn't read properly, on a tram drunk...

Offline BigLaughingJim

• Au Fungi dot com
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:47:18 AM »
The Mixture is added to the tart hot (unless done beforehand) but the cooking process alone is enough to bind the filling without egg. Ive tried the cheese through the mixture before adding....that was really nice and had a better (firmer) texture of the finished tart filling, but if the cheese is left until last the filling is a bit looser but you get the flavor of the mushroom and onion with that one degree of separation from the cheese and instead of tasting the blended product, you taste the individual products and blend them through eating.....I guess I should add that the tart ingredients should be well, but not too finely, chopped (with agrocybe, you just run the knife through a bundle every cm or two, caps can remain whole because they are small anyways)...which adds to their surface area and thus their ability to bind in the filling

Substrate, Corn Cob (If you can get it, otherwise i used lucerne chaff dust and a bit of vermiculite or some soy or pea hulls to allow for some "islands in the stream"), and Sawdust  50/50 with a touch of soy bean meal (63%H2O....35day germination period through a 1 L bag, they like to be scratched on the surface you want to grow them from, then 17-21 D fruiting period
not heavy yielders, but the product is worth the trouble.
jim@aufungi.com

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 01:36:24 PM »
So I finally got around to making this sucker...and, despite the expense, it's delish.  I've only tried a little bit, I'm letting some of the flavours develop but I'm definitely busting some out tonight and having some more. 

Hopefully the vacuum seal keeps some bits a little longer.

Here are some pics of the ingredients and the finished product.

Saffies:

Guinea Fowl (these lil suckers ARE not cheap):

Finished product:

Packaged finished product:

And now that I've made it I can understand why terrine is so expensive to buy.  It's pretty straight forward and there's a fair bit of cooking time where you don't do much, but there are expensive ingredients and time invovled. 

Oh and i had to joint and bone the guinea fowl too.  fiddly. 

If saffies from a market are $2 each, then I've spent at least $30 on those (lucky I went out and picked them).  $10 worth of panchetta in and around the thing.  Plus the bird and whatever else...exy!!!

Offline themushroombloke

• Edible Mushroom Club
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 07:25:24 PM »
dude that is super impressive I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks :P

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 01:54:29 AM »
It's so delicious!  And it's getting better with a few days to let the flavours develop.

Offline BigLaughingJim

• Au Fungi dot com
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 08:26:33 PM »
Im impressed. Well done.
jim@aufungi.com

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 01:22:36 AM »
Because i vacuum sealed some i had yet more tonight!  Hell yeah, such flavour maturation!

Offline Brandon

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 01:20:11 PM »
Is very exciting