Author Topic: Lion's Mane?  (Read 11734 times)

Offline Fungus AmungUs

• Fungus Amung'Us Youtube Channel
Lion's Mane?
« on: September 06, 2011, 01:01:54 AM »
I've been looking around to see what a fair price for fresh lion's mane mushrooms is.  They're rather rare, at least in my region all you ever see are shiitakes and oysters (if you're lucky), so based off that alone they should be worth more.  Oysters around here generally go for about $5-6/pound and Shiitakes for ~$8-9/pound.  So does $12/pound for fresh lion's mane seem reasonable?

Offline themushroombloke

• Edible Mushroom Club
Re: Lion's Mane?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 07:40:24 AM »
hey mate,

I'm a chef by trade and I'd say the general public may not buy Lions mane because they wouldn't know what to do with them.
In my opinion this is something you would be better off marketing to top notch restaurants. My understanding is Lions mane biomass conversion isn't too good so effort to saleable weight ratio isn't real good. So I'd be inclined to talk them up to celebrity Chefs and charge a premium price and let the chef know why they cost so much. I can see some very tasty dishes with Lobster or sea urchin roe, roasted cherry tomatos, finely chopped shallots with a light bisque sauce and baby herbs scattered everywhere LOL

good luck, sounds like you've got the smarts keep us posted.

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:25:05 AM »
First of all, FUCK SEA URCHIN ROE!  That is the worst shit ever.  I had some at Vue De Monde the other night, wanted to spit it out, just tasted like...revolting. 

Second of all, good points on the lion's mane, it isn't wide spread, it will contam easily, it is slow AND it has a crap shelf life

Thirdly, when should I bloody well harvest it?  I have no idea what to look for to know it's time to pick. 

Offline Fungus AmungUs

• Fungus Amung'Us Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:02:02 AM »
I think they will turn pinkish as they mature, and that will signify when they are ready for harvest. 

When you say crap shelf-life, how crap?

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 09:36:03 AM »
Considering i don't know when to harvest i don't yet know about actual shelf life but i've heard it's unmarketable short for normal supply chains. Read/heard it somewhere. 

Here is mine this morning, no pinkness yet...

Offline themushroombloke

• Edible Mushroom Club
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:25:04 AM »
@nsf: ok ok ok how about a tiny lions mane cooked in a small pot confit style in butter, put on a tray in a hot oven to colour up.
Then placed on top of a seared scallop served with samphire, cauliflower, pancetta and flaked almonds. HELL YEAH!

@FAU: I'd say at a guess the shelf life might be 2 days in the fridge, which would make it hard to transport.

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 10:35:26 AM »
look at you with your samphire!  Such the right now ingredient!  lol, love it.

I'd also want to copy the Movida scallop recipe, which is potato foam, pan seared scallop wrapped in pancetta or jamon, then drizzled with a little basil oil.  GTFO.  I think a little slice of seafood mushroom would work well there.

Although, the more I think about your recipe the more I like it.  Various complimentary flavours and varying textures.  Yep, mouth is watering. 

Offline themushroombloke

• Edible Mushroom Club
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 11:07:31 AM »
@nsf: I'm jealous I'd love some of those pom poms right now I'm bloody starving!

Offline punkin

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 04:25:42 AM »
That's good conversion on that little jar. Those shrooms are ready to pick when the little tendrils get long like that. Not long after that they'll get all shaggy looking, go pink and brown at the tips. They really do look unappetising after getting to old or spending too long in the fridge.

I don't like the slimy little buggers anyway... :P

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 11:41:06 AM »
There's no pinking or browning just yet but i figure that they'll keep better on the tub than they will in the fridge.  Hopefully i get home at a reasonable hour tonight and can slice and fry em in some butter.  How thick should they be sliced? Fat or fine?

Offline Darterzezza

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 01:08:48 PM »
LM starts off pink then turns white and then produces the shag. You want to pick it just before it begins to turn yellow on top as it becomes tough when over ripe. What substrate are you using in the container?

Offline yanmaneee

Offline aolomaxu

• Most doses, charge, non-thyroid authority.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 08:38:37 AM »
Buy Amoxicillin <a href="http://mewkid.net/buy-amoxicillin/">Amoxicillin 500mg</a> mcp.xyxk.ediblemushroom.net.lls.ng http://mewkid.net/buy-amoxicillin/

Offline ulurekeozori

• I, polishing, selecting bringing symptomatic: schemes vaccination.
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 09:12:20 AM »
Amoxicillin Online <a href="http://mewkid.net/buy-amoxicillin/">Amoxicillin 500mg Capsules</a> jva.ugux.ediblemushroom.net.roy.dq http://mewkid.net/buy-amoxicillin/