Author Topic: Have I over supplemented my Shiitake blocks  (Read 1031 times)

Offline filyep

Have I over supplemented my Shiitake blocks
« on: October 18, 2016, 07:41:01 PM »
Hi guys I have just done a few shiitake blocks and I think I may have put too much wheat bran in. I'm not sure where I got my formula from but I think it might have been for oysters.

I scaled it down and used volume rather than weight because moisture content of my woodchips would vary.

So I got  woodchips  88%
          Wheat bran 8%
          Gypsum    4%

This is all measured by volume which I won't put down because it's in metric and it might make your heads explode. :P

So I did two block of these one I have already inoculated with 16% of grain spawn and the other I am still to do. I was thinking of using less grain spawn since I have so much supplementation.

So I have seen other post saying to add around 1/8 to 1/4 to a 6lb block of sawdust and my block is at least half that with 1/2 cup of bran in it.

Will it be ok or should I expect mutated fruits. Also I have no idea of the strain I'm using.

Cheers

Offline NSF

• Administrator
Re: Have I over supplemented my Shiitake blocks
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 09:01:28 AM »
Can you send through a photo of your woodchips?  I'm curious to see.  Shiitake are slow enough of sawdust/straw...I imagine they'd be even slower on woodchips.

When you get a new strain it's always a good idea to bag up a few different supplementation rates, ranging from zero to what you guess is too much. 

For S75 it's really sensitive to supplement, 250ml for 15L of substrate is enough. 
For Fungi Perfecti Le it enjoys 1.2L of supplement for 15L.

I also only ever throw in 250ml of gypsum and about 125ml lime. 

So 8% is OK for some strains, that's roughly what I do. 

gypsum - 1.5%
lime - 0.75%
bran - 7.2%

Offline filyep

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:28:47 AM »
The woodchips are the finer type that's why I used them. I'm pretty sure they are Eucalyptus but I'm not entirely sure since someone left them at a park for me. :) :)

They have done really well, fully colonised in 2 weeks although I did put around  400ml of spawn to around 1.4lts of woodchips.

I have a heap of spawn atm the moment so I will try that idea of different supplementation rate.

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 11:59:34 AM »
What sort of filter patch bag are you using?  Something with some good thickness/toughness.

That's fantastic that the shiitake colonised it so fast!

What you haven't done is take into account your spawn rate, 400ml of spawn is another supplement...so yeah, your supplementation rate is pretty high.  See what happens, nothing else you can do. 

Offline filyep

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 07:13:43 PM »
Yeah they are already getting to that thick white stage.

I am using 1.5 litre rectangular tupperware containers with two holes drilled and stuffed with poly fill for air exchange.

Yeah I didn't realise that spawn was considered a supplement, it makes sense. It's pop corn so maybe it won't be as nutritious as other grains.

I'll be making a grow log of my process soon.