Author Topic: Oak log supply  (Read 5344 times)

Offline 8lack8ear

Oak log supply
« on: June 04, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »
Hi guys,

I was hoping someone could point me to a reliable and affordable source for some oak wood logs to grow Shiitake mushrooms? I live in Melbourne and would not mind traveling with in Victoria to collect them my self. 

Thank you

Offline NSF

• Administrator
Re: Oak log supply
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »
I'm just curious why you are seeking oak specifically?

Because shiitake are 'the oak mushroom'?

Many groups around the world are having commercial success growing them on eucalypt.

In fact, apparently Shining Gum (E. nitens) is one they favour most. 

Have a read of this thread:
http://ediblemushroom.net/index.php/topic,21.msg152.html#msg152
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:51:57 PM by NSF »

Offline 8lack8ear

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 04:06:30 PM »
Hi NSF

Thank you for the link, I appreciate all the advice I can get.  All the information I have found so far say that oak is the best. I will post some of the souses I have been gathering when I get home.   

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »
In one of ST Chang's books he has a huge list of tree species that shiitake will grow on (I think they will grow well on).  I'll find out which book it was and let you know.

Offline 8lack8ear

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 03:16:06 PM »
Here is some information I have found hope it will have value for the people on this site.

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-1380/NREM-5029web.pdf
http://www.mushroomcompany.com/resources/shiitake/kyshiitakeinpictures.pdf
http://www.mushroomcompany.com/resources/shiitake/kymoisture.pdf
http://www.mushroomcompany.com/resources/shiitake/kyprofits.pdf

The values are for the States so where necessary you will need to convert to Australian.
I will definitely be getting ST Chang's books thanks for the tip.
I have also found a grower that has inoculated logs for sale in Colac, if any one is interested, these will be ready to fruit soon. he can deliver to Melbourne for $40 a log. pm me

also see for all the info they have.

http://www.mushroomcompany.com/resources/shiitake/index.shtml

Offline Tallman

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 07:13:23 PM »
Here's some Aus specific info and yield graph from Reid, Australian Log-Grown Shiitake Mushrooms at http://www.mtg.unimelb.edu.au/Shiitake.htm

We have trialled …Shiitake on English Oak ( Quercus robur ), Shining Gum ( Eucalyptus nitens ), Sugar Gum ( E. cladocaylx ), Poplar ( Populus  hybrid spp), Common Alder ( Alnus glutinosa ) and Blackwood ( Acacia melanoxylon ).
…The bark is the most critical factor in the eucalypts. Very thick bark,of the type found on slow growing trees of species like Spotted Gum or Sydney Blue Gum, tends to suppress the mushroom growth and is susceptible to breaking away from the wood if it dries. The stringybarks are likely to 'fall apart' over time. The best option appears to be the thin barked logs cut from fast growing young trees of the gum-bark species.
…We prefer to have logs about 1m long and between 10 and 20 cm in diameter. Any smaller and there is a greater risk of drying out.  …Freshly-cut logs should not be inoculated immediately; trees naturally produce anti-fungal compounds, which degrade in two to three weeks from cutting.
…Once inoculated the logs should be stored off the ground …for a few months in a shade location. It is important to water 1-2 times a week.  …The ideal environment is one that is humid and shaded yet well ventilated. The logs do not need to be held in the dark.  …The logs should not be covered with plastic as this will encourage mould growth.
…For fruiting you need a higher humidity and more regular watering.  …To initiate fruiting the fully colonised logs are soaked for 24 hour in the water. After soaking, logs they must be watered 3-4 times a day. 'Pinning' is the term used to describe the formation of small knots or bulbs that arise on the surface of the bark. At this stage it is important to keep the logs moist as the mushrooms develop. Mushrooms will be ready 2-3 weeks after soaking and should be picked just before the lip of the mushroom turns outwards.
…Once the logs have finished fruiting they are rested for few months before the process is repeated. We anticipate that the best logs will remain viable for 4 or 5 years and may produce as much as 1 kilogram of fresh produce per year.

Offline jpf

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 05:52:13 PM »
Hey Tallman,

Any luck with the English Oak?
I just got a bunch of fresh-cut logs dropped in the driveway and wondering what's the best approach?
I have some shiitake, oyster, maitake and a bunch of other dowel spawn at the moment to work with ...

Cheers,
Joe

Offline Raymondquami

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 04:56:36 PM »
     .   .           .   ,     .       xozyaika.com

Offline AfdikasFrisy

• adidas-rus.ru
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 10:31:28 PM »
   Adidas       .         Adidas,     .      ,    Adidas  .           .  adidas-rus.ru      -    .

,         .   ,       ,     .   Adidas  -  .       ,    .  ADIDAS     .         .         ,    .

Adidas   .         .        ,   .         .        .    ,   .           .

Adidas    - ,         .    ,         ,    .      ,        .

.         10%.      ,     .             . ,    Adidas     .

Adidas   -   

adidas-rus.ru            .            .  ,     ,     .            .

ADIDAS ULTRA BOOST.       .      .    ,   .    ADIDAS TUBULAR.      .              .

,       .           .          .               ,      .       ,       ,      .

Adidas,   .             .            ,        - .

,           .        .         8(495)-532-35-45.      ,    57  1.
- adidas-rus.ru     ADIDAS   !         ,   129110, , . ,    57  1.

Offline Ladiserpharp

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 09:46:22 PM »
      .            .        ,    .             !        ,  ,    .          ,           - .

greenhistory.ru        .       Green History.     ,            .       ,           .       ,        .

?

,     .      ,     .      ,      .     .       ,  ,    .

.             ,      .          ,     .       ,      .

,      ,      ,      .       ,       Green History.

?

.    greenhistory.ru         ,       online.      ,    .           ,       8-(495)-504-15-24,        .

,     .     ,            .

,      .       .     ,    ,     .

.        ,     .      ,          .

.      ,        .          ,      .      ,       ,   - .        , .     ,   ,    .   ,         .      - ,     .          ,   .

,      .        ,      .      ,       ,        !  ,          .     ,       .

,   greenhistory.ru,      .      ,          .    . ,  ,  100,  414,      .
,       greenhistory.ru     -  

Offline Mafgikarism

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 01:34:08 AM »
    "18"    .                 - .             .

18ps.ru      .     .      ,       +7(3412)540-004.        .       .          ,      .        .      .          .        .

. , . , 24,    .     ,   .       .        .           .       .

"18"    .      .          .           .        - .       .  , ,  . ,        .

18ps.ru             ,          .  ,          .     «18»    .        - ,   .          .

.         .           .         .       .          .        .         .      ,       .

. -          -.     .             ,         .

18ps.ru  "18",    .    .              .
18ps.ru                   .

Offline Vabriokbor

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 05:38:03 PM »
      ,     ,     online.       .      ,     ,      .

--.   ,     .      ,       .        .      .

,         ,   .     ,     .      . -         .

,    .    ,       .         .  ,     .    ,     .       - .        .

,     .     -  .     ,     .         .         .

,      ,      .      .      .        .       5   -    .

,     ,   .  90%   .      .       .        ,     .
--.   ,        5 !

Offline Nafomahob

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 09:48:34 AM »
     .       ,       -.        ,     .

justnike.ru       ,     Nike Air Presto x Acronym ()    - Nike        Asics, Adidas, New Balance.         Reebok  Nike.        .  ,   -   .    .      -  .     +7(495)642-26-83,        .

JUSTNIKE      .  justnike.ru     Asics    .       ,  -     .      .      .  ,      ,   -  .      .

, : Timberland, Balenciaga, Fila.        .         .      -    .        .          ,      .      .

-         .      .     ,     .   Nike  .     ,   .  -    . -      .      -  ,      .

.       ,      .          .
justnike.ru      ,     Nike Air Max 2018 ()    - Nike        Asics, Adidas, New Balance.