Author Topic: Porcini and thyme jus  (Read 1314 times)

Offline NSF

• Administrator
Porcini and thyme jus
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
I was just gobsmacked at how good this was.  Do yourself a favour and make it as soon as you can.  Truly delicious.  Remember, it's a meat juice, not a thick gravy.

We converted the recipe to metric and made only 1/3 of what the recipe calls for, was still more than 500ml of sauce. 

57g dried porcini mushrooms
500ml boiling water
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large shallots (the little onion like things) ultra finely diced
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 bottle of full bodied red wine
5 cups of good quality beef stock
4 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Put the porcini mushrooms in a small bowl, and pour the boiling water over them. Let sit 1 hour. Use a slotted spoon to remove the mushrooms, chop fine and reserve. Strain the mushroom liquid through double cheesecloth and set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots, and saute 3 minutes until softened. Add the chopped porcini and the red wine, and increase the heat so it comes to a boil. Reduce to 1 cup, about 15 minutes. Add porcini soaking liquid and the beef stock, and boil 30 minutes. Skim any fat off the surface, add the fresh thyme sprigs, cover and remove from the heat.

While the Prime rib roast (or other roast beef) rests, put the roasting pan on top of two stove-top burners over medium heat. Add the sauce from the saucepan and boil, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the roasting pan. Transfer the sauce back to the saucepan, and bring to a boil again, reducing until the sauce begins to thicken to a light syrup consistency. Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper if desired.

Keep the sauce warm, and just before serving, whisk in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Serve at once.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:11:36 AM by NSF »

Offline golmuso

Re: Porcini and thyme jus
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 03:48:19 PM »
As a near qualified chef, i can taste this already/pro stuff...bloody delish :-D

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 05:01:47 PM »
Add this to your repertoire, it leaves for dead many a jus and sauce I've been served on meats at many restaurants.  Damn it, I'm hungry just thinking about it again!

Offline golmuso

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 08:01:45 PM »
It's been saved don't you worry :P.

Would also be great to make a large batch of Shallot/porchini 'jam' to store in either the fridge, or ice cubes for an easy deglaze after steak. That'd Vamp up steak and chips for dinner that's for sure (and you could have some at will without waiting for the roast haha). Cheers for the post!

Offline Rafereal

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 01:35:34 PM »
Very useful forum.