Author Topic: Agaricus rotalis- score! Image heavy  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Oysterblade

Agaricus rotalis- score! Image heavy
« on: January 09, 2015, 09:57:21 AM »
Found in NNSW yesterday after rain. Took one home to ID but didn't get in-situ photos until this morning. The stand of them was much more impressive yesterday, but they were still there this morning so I got pics

ID'd as Agaricus rotalis, please correct me if I'm wrong. Please excuse crappy phone camera pics.

Love that particular patch for fungi, it's fallen camphor and eucs and mostly undisturbed by cattle. For the last 2-3 years I've been watching the succession of fungal species as the timber breaks down. The main difference between the diversity in this spot and other spots is the lack of cattle disturbance

Offline NSF

• Administrator
Re: Agaricus rotalis- score! Image heavy
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »
This is the first time I've ever heard of rotalis.  Very interesting shroom. 

Offline Morrie3

• Tall Trees and Mushrooms
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 11:46:28 PM »
Neale Bougher found the first specimens of A. rotalis in Australia in 2005, as part of the Perth Urban Bushland Fungi project.   I remember it because it got a mention in the newspaper at the time.   Interesting to see it in NNSW too.

Bougher records it's edibility as unknown.

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 02:35:56 PM »
I'd be interested to see how many fungi Bougher lists as edible. 

Offline Morrie3

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 10:44:22 PM »
I'd be interested to see how many fungi Bougher lists as edible.
I recommend his book "Fungi of Southern Australia" that he did with illustrations by Katie Syme.  It covers a lot of the common fungi that one encounters in quite some detail.  He includes edibility in the summary for all species and that includes most of the common edible ones that I have also eaten as well as a few that I haven't eaten, such as Pisolithus marmoratus (edible when young) and Hygrocybe miniata.  He says Ramaria ochraceosalmonicolor is poisonous, which contrasts with reports by J.H.Willis. ( It is a difficult one to identify in any case - so many small variations in Ramaria)

Offline Gibbo

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 09:28:25 AM »
These also appear in the Dandenongs and agree on ID.

Offline Morrie3

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 02:25:46 PM »
There are a lot of these around at the moment, some coming up singly, others in tight clusters.  A scratch on the stem shows classic chrome yellow and the smell is of phenol.  Yuck!   

Offline Oysterblade

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 09:50:39 AM »
Hi Morrie3

Am reluctant to correct you because you're way more knowledgeable than I, but your mushroom cap doesn't resemble my putative rotalis at all- the splits in the cap on your pics are compounded by concentric rings of scales, and your gill colour is different in the pics too.

Mine didn't smell of phenol at all, but I smoke cigarettes, so I may be missing something.

I don't recall any yellow staining on the A. rotalis stems I picked, what yellowing is visible in the photo could be an artefact of the lighting conditions, but from memory there was no distinct staining.

Now I'm waiting to see if they show here again this year so I can have another look

Offline Morrie3

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 02:44:38 AM »
You are right. 

The ones that I have posted have some resemblance, but aren't the same.

Possibly undescribed.   I haven't seen the before, although they were locally abundant.