Author Topic: saw dust and wheat agar recipe  (Read 2742 times)

Offline NSF

• Administrator
saw dust and wheat agar recipe
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:19:30 AM »
So I've cooked 120g of wheat in 1L of water for 40 minutes for an agar recipe before but BrassRoots wondered whether I could cook saw dust instead, seeing as that is most likely my substrate. 

I figure I am still going to go from agar to grain, then to saw dust, so why don't I boil up both?!

So that's what I've done:

60g of saw dust
60g of wheat
1L of water

Boiled for 40 minutes.

Because saw dust had lots of volume and is very absorbent after I decanted this mixture I only had about 500ml of water.  So I added 300ml of hot water and then poured in 20g of agar.  Stirred, sealed and put into the PC to cook. 

I'm about to go and re-heat it to liquify and pour it into plates.  So it won't be for a few weeks until I know how it's gone. 

This is non-nutritive agar.  As soon as I have some yeast and dextrose I think I'll do the recipe again but with nutrients in it and see if growth explodes off that. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:45:49 AM by NSF »

Offline NSF

• Administrator
Re: saw dust and wheat agar recipe
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 11:32:26 AM »
So I poured my dishes, thick amounts of agar at the bottom, then I thought i might be able to make it go further so poured less in and 'sloshed' it around to spread it.  Maybe it won't have enough moisture, we'll see. 

Offline BrassRoots

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 01:58:58 PM »
Nice. I think I'm going to start putting sawdust in to all my agars since pretty much every species i have will be grown on it.

I dont think you need lots of thickness. Have you seen much variation in mycelium quality/quantity with lass agar? I'm finding that the mycelium tends to mostly colonise the surface but not penetrate very deep into the agar.

So I see a lot of you guys put filter paper in to your dishes. Why is that?
Mushrooms hemispheric to plane, spotted to marbled with "water spots"pn the cap measuring 2-7cm. Cap margin inrolled to incurved when young. Mushrooms dark tan, becoming brown when mature. Gills bluntly attached to stem, close, firm and "wax-like". Stem thich and central. -Hypsizygus tessulatus

Offline NSF

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 11:13:35 PM »
What filter paper?  Where? 

Offline BrassRoots

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
oh, I though I saw white stuff in the dishes. Never mind.
Mushrooms hemispheric to plane, spotted to marbled with "water spots"pn the cap measuring 2-7cm. Cap margin inrolled to incurved when young. Mushrooms dark tan, becoming brown when mature. Gills bluntly attached to stem, close, firm and "wax-like". Stem thich and central. -Hypsizygus tessulatus

Offline punkin

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 05:39:18 AM »
The only thing you'll find with less agar is that it dries out to paper quicker in the fridge.

Thicker dishes seem to last a bit longer, not a worry if you're propogating for use though.