Author Topic: Coconut Water Agar (CWA)  (Read 4096 times)

Offline Packdee

Coconut Water Agar (CWA)
« on: February 18, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
I prepare CWA from coconut water.
Recipe: coconut water 1 liter + agar powder 20 grams.

I prefer to get water from green coconut which its taste is better than the brown one.

Normally coconut water PH is 5.5. No need to be adjusted for mushroom tissue cultivation.

Boil coconut water, mix well agar power with cold water in separate bowl and pour into boiling CW, keep stirring.
Use a syringe to fill the bottles 30 CC each, autoclave and slant the bottle. 

Comparing the progress of mycelia of different mushroom tissue in same batch of CWA.
From left; 4 weeks, Tricholoma Crassum, 3 weeks, Colocybe Indica and 17 days, Volvariella volvacea.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:48:01 PM by Packdee »

Offline NSF

• Administrator
Re: Coconut Water Agar (CWA)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »
Great tutorial and photos Packdee.

So I tried this simple recipe of yours.  Low and behold I'm pretty sure I stuffed up the quantity of agar.

I used 250ml of coconut water and 1 tablespoon of agar, which is 15ml of powdered agar.

I then made an agar with 250ml water, 1 dessert spoon (7.5ml) of deb, 1dsp malt extract, 1/2 dsp milo and a little vegemite.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:12:31 PM by NSF »

Offline NSF

• Administrator
Re: Coconut Water Agar (CWA)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 05:12:10 PM »
Well crap, i didn't document how much agar I used in the second recipe.  I don't recall whether it was half as much or twice as much...or the same.

Either way, in this very limited trial the seem to perform fairly similarly, the more complicated recipe seems to be doing slightly better with all species though.

The cwa agar is more prone to breakage during transfers too.